Here’s the painting as I left it yesterday:
As I mentioned, I noticed quite a few things wrong with it after I finished painting, and when I came back to it today I noticed even more, so before I get into adding too much detail, I wanted to make some adjustments and get things back on track before I finish off the painting.
Here’s the painting after my adjustments, for comparison:
The main thing I changed was the sky. It was much too dark before, and didn’t have that arm glow that I had in the colour study, so I really brightened it up with some ultramarine blue and white, and emphasised the warm yellowish glow.
This meant going over the far bridge tower, so I had to redraw that, and I fixed the drawing on the near tower too, and added a highlight on the left side of the tower where the sun is catching it.
After brightening and warming the sky, I then had to repeat that colour in the water in the distance to make sure the reflection looks right.
I started to add detail with the cables coming down from the bridge, but that was before I adjusted the sky, so they got a bit messed up. I kind of like them a bit broken like that though, I might leave them as they are.
Anyway, now I’m back on track, I can get on with finishing the rest of the painting. Stay tuned!